PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, January 21, 2010

::{Hello Twenty-Ten}::

2009 Rocked! It was seriously a roller coaster for me trying to start this little business. A crazy, fun, scary roller coaster! Here's how it went:

January - April: I was driving my husband nuts with my begging and pleading for him to make enough room in our budget to fund my new photography obsession. As a lot of you know... it's not a cheap hobby!


May: He finally shoveled out the cash and bought me my first dslr. A Canon 40d. It was like adding another member to the family. I was in love!


June: I took my first job. And, can I just say... WHAT WAS I THINKING?! I really wish I could go back and do some things over. Looking back, I really should have taken some time to learn the technical basics before getting caught up in the excitement of someone actually wanting to hire me.


July - September: Slowly things started clicking and I felt like I was making a lot of progress.


October: Frustrating! It was in October that I felt like everything was 1 step forward 2 steps back. You know how sometimes the more you know, the more you realize you don't know anything? I was starting to realize that I needed to know MORE and didn't know where to get the information I needed. I started to really work on nailing all technical aspects in my photographs. This took it's own tole on my creativity. I was focusing so much on the technical details that I quit thinking as much about angles, composition, & perspective.


November & December were so busy. SO SO SO busy.  I'm so glad that I had the business that I did, but I will do things differently this year. Holiday sessions in September sound good to me. No more December 15th sessions. It was way too stressful! Live and learn.

January: I have loved these last few weeks!! I've taken some much needed time off to re-evaluate, read, LEARN, and just focus on comparing where I'm at to where I want to be; while making notes of steps I need to take to get myself from point A to point B.

::{2010 Goals}::
I am stoked for business in 2010. I have a lot of the kinks worked out by now and I'm predicting tons of growth and progress with my photography in the coming months. My main business goals for 2010 are to fully develop and understand my photography style, to get to a point where I am 100% confident about the work that I  am giving to clients, and to develop strong and lasting relationships with those that I meet and work with throughout the year. I honestly don't care if I don't make a dime this year. I am finding more joy in my hobby than I ever thought possible. It has become an addiction to seek out the thrill of learning something new and turning that knowledge into art.

::{Welcome 2010}::

If you're still reading... props to you!


And because I couldn't possibly leave you without a picture... my own crazy girl. She WILL NOT look at the camera. Oh well. Maybe someday she'll be my little model.

I won't hold my breath.

IMG_7992

3 comments:

  1. erin I think you do an AMAZING job & I can't believe how fast you have learned & how great of a photographer you are! I am super jealous of you! I wish you lived closer so I could shadow you or be able to ask you questions ALL the time. (= and thank you for being so kind & helpful to me I appericate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I love that picture of Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I look at your pictures, I realize how far I have to go to get anywhere NEAR where I want to be in photography! They are SO beautiful and I SO wish I could already be at that point {patience and hard work... yeeeeah. Still working on both!!}. Thanks for your advice so far, and I know I'll be picking your brain in the future! And thanks for letting me know the pictures weren't working on my website - I went back and fixed that and they are up. Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete