PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, October 19, 2009

::{Progress}:: & a new lens

I am definitely in the middle of a long journey. Nearly every day I learn something new. There is SO much to learn when it comes to photography. I think so many people pick up a camera and say, "I'm a photographer". Well, I was one of those people and it didn't take me much time to learn that I had no clue what I was doing. It's great to aspire to something, but more than ever I probably wouldn't call myself "a photographer". Yes, I'm learning photography and I'm taking pictures for people... but I'm just not quite there yet. I recently added a paragraph to my Pricing post explaining why I keep my prices low. When I'm confident calling myself a photographer, I'll start charging like a photographer. Until then, I'm just a tiny little fish in the humongous ocean of photography.

So this is fun...

Here's a picture from my second session ever! This was back in June, just 4 1/2 months ago. Things I like about it: composition (although I should have told Blake to move his hand closer to his body), tilt. Things I don't like: background is blown, I didn't get the baby to look at me, the colors are all off. Notice how their faces are a little bit too orange?



IMG_ (84)




I can't go back and fix the mistakes I made when the picture was taken, but I can show you how I would edit this picture with what I know now. Can you see a difference? Better exposure, less color pop... trust me, it's a good thing, more subtle over-all color, and better skin tones.


IMG_1760 copy



I am still planning on posting some tutorials for those that have asked. It is time consuming to write it all out step by step with screen shots, so be patient with me.



And this is the most exciting part of my day...


IMG_2468



I got my 85mm 1.8 (new lens) in the mail today and this is the first picture I took with it. LOVE IT!! It's never coming off my camera.

5 comments:

  1. I am so excited for your Friday's Fixins!!!! I want to learn how you do the one that is Sepia-esk, but better...you did it with 4 yr old Brad's picture.

    Which photoshop do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea how I stumbled upon your blog but I am glad I did and thought I'd let you know that I was taking a peek :) Your work is truely impressive! I can't believe you have only been shooting for 4 1/2 months! You have a natural talent, that is for sure!
    andream301@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, I love this photo. It is chilly and very fall here in Utah today and I love how springy this flower seems to me. So I'm finally replacing your rugs on the clothesline photo with this one as my main wallpaper picture . . . although I may return to the rugs on the clothesline sometime; I absolutely love that picture, too.

    Love Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. i know the feelings of inadequacy are sometimes real because we can never jump into something knowing all we need to know, but don't sell yourself short either. because you're great. ... that's all i have to say :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY FOR NEW LENSES! that flower is really cute.I almost have a pic just like that. well a flower that looks just like that one haha.

    ReplyDelete